Thursday, October 27, 2011

Assignment 4 topic


Report: Turkish Man Freed From Quake Debris


Turkey's state-run news agency says rescuers have pulled out a man alive from the rubble of a collapsed building four days after a powerful earthquake hit eastern Turkey, killing 532 people.
Anatolia news agency says the man is in his late 20s.
Television footage showed the man, surrounded by medics and other emergency workers, being rushed through hospital doors.
Rain and snow in the area is making life miserable for thousands of earthquake survivors.
Emergency officials said 2,300 people were injured and 185 have been rescued from the rubble after Sunday's devastating 7.2-magnitude quake.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
ERCIS, Turkey (AP) — Rain gave way to snow Thursday in eastern Turkey, making life miserable for thousands of earthquake survivors as the death toll from the weekend disaster rose to 534.
Emergency officials said 2,300 people were injured and 185 have been rescued from the rubble after Sunday's devastating 7.2-magnitude quake. Some 2,000 buildings have been destroyed and authorities declared another 3,700 buildings unfit for habitation.
More aid began to reach survivors, with Turkish authorities delivering more tents after acknowledging distribution problems that included saw aid trucks being looted even before they reached Ercis, the hardest-hit town.
Murat Sonmez
AP
Murat Sonmez, a survivor who lost his mother,... View Full Caption
Families who did snag a precious aid tent shared them with others. But some people spent a fourth night outdoors huddled under blankets in front of campfires, either waiting for news of the missing or keeping watch over damaged homes.
As survivors gathered pieces of wood to light campfires or stove-heaters, The Red Crescent and several pro-Islamic groups set up kitchens and dished out soup or rice and beans.
Sermin Yildirim, eight months pregnant, was sharing a tent with a family of four who were distant relatives, along with her own twins and husband. Her family was too afraid of returning to their apartment.
"It's getting colder, my kids are coughing. I don't know how long we will have to stay here," Yildirim said. "We were not able to get a tent. We are waiting to get our own."
Muhlise Bakan, 41, was not happy to share her tent with her husband's second wife, Hamide.
"I have four children, she has five," Bakan said. "We were sleeping in separate rooms at our house, and now we are sleeping side by side here."
However, she acknowledged the two women were now "closer" as they struggled together in hard times. Turkish law does not recognize second marriages, but some conservative men in the country's southeast still marry more then one wife in religious ceremonies.
Health problems increased the hardship.
"I am very sick, I need medicine," said Kevsel Astan, 40, who had a kidney transplant four years ago.
She said she was being treated at the state hospital until the quake struck. The damaged hospital was evacuated and doctors were focusing on emergency cases.
Burke Cinar, a sociologist with a Turkish foundation, said the group was trying to get tents for the families of 15 children with leukemia in Ercis.
Looking ahead, Turkey's weather agency predicted intermittent snowfall for the next three days.

5 comments:

  1. Becky, #Assignment 4November 6, 2011 at 4:41 PM

    1. I think the emergency relief workers are providing the tents and food to Turkish victims of the earthquake.
    2. We have gone through another type of natural disaster—Morake Typhoon. It happened near where I live on August 8 in 2009.
    3. Yes. My family have donated money and supplies to people in need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, # Assignment4November 6, 2011 at 4:56 PM

    1.- It is the golden time to rescue in seventy-two hours. I think we can assembly our Taiwanese strength and love, and send some supplies to Turkish. Or we cam give them some help and countenance on internet and let them know many people care about them.
    2.- We have gone through two disasters 921earthquake and 88windstorm. One of them happened twelve years ago. The other one was about two years ago. They were very terrible.
    3.-My father helped 921earthquake refugees. Because he is a policeman, and my family and I all like to help people. Everyone can help each other We can make this world beautiful and full of love together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristy, # Assignment 4November 6, 2011 at 4:58 PM

    I think maybe taking care of them is the most important thing that emergency relief workers provide to Turkish victims of the quake. They are very poor because there is a very big earthquake in which they live. I would pray for them sincerely. Be ok!!
    After reading this article, I was very shocked because there isn’t any earthquake like Turkey in Taiwan. I just remember there was a super big earthquake took place in Taiwan when I was a seven-month-old child. That earthquake made a lot of people died. How poor they are!!
    My mom and I have joined World Vision Taiwan All Rights Reserved. I help a boy who lives in Africa. But I have never mailed anything to him. I have mailed a letter to him when I was ten. It was a pretty good memory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elisa, # Assignment 4November 6, 2011 at 4:59 PM

    I think the refugee in Turkey earthquake may need some solid food, medical supplies, and of course some money (to help them rebuild their houses).
    There are many disasters in Taiwan. We somtimes have an earthquake. Besides the earthquake there are typhoons, flood and earth flow in Taiwan.
    My family sometimes buy the Red Cross's things, because they (The Red Cross) will use the money to help the people in the disaster area. It is a good organization.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony, # Assignment 4November 6, 2011 at 5:00 PM

    Hi! I'm Tony.

    1.There are many victims waiting for doctors to help them. They are very poor.

    2.Yes, earthquake happens in Taiwan often. I don't like earthquake. I am very scared.

    3. I have helped the Sichuan earthquake. I donated money to the people there. And I was on TV because my school gave them money.

    ReplyDelete